I made these potatoes for this Sunday’s Femme Appetit Dinner in LA and the ladies went crazy. It’s just a healthified version of my mothers classic.
Simply steam the potatoes as not to leach out nutrients (with boiling or baking), swap out the butter for coconut oil and add some creamy nuts like pecan and pine — now it borders on dessert, LOL.
The optional spices give it more savory taste and a little superfood boost.
Superfood Sweet Potatoes!!
1 medium sweet potato
1tb coconut oil
1t ground cinnamon
1t vanilla extract
Pinch of turmeric (optional)
Pinch of black pepper (helps to activate turmerics properties)
Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
Pinch of Maca (optional)
Salt and sweetener to taste (maple syrup is ideal)
1. Prepare steamer, bring water to a boil
2. Scrub potato, do not peel, slice in 1/4 inch dials, add to steamer
3. On very low heat toast spices (minus maca) on a dry skillet till aromatic, add coconut oil, vanilla and sweetener
4. Stir well and be sure not to bring to a boil/bubble
5. After 10-15 min potatoes should be tender, transfer to sauce pan, mash coat and add salt to taste.
6. Top with creamy nuts like pecan on pine